- incapable of being defended, as an argument, thesis, etc.; indefensible.
- not fit to be occupied, as an apartment, house, etc.
Origin of untenable
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. baseless, groundless, unsound, weak, questionable.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for untenability
Indeed, he himself illustrated the untenability of his idea.The War With Mexico, Volume I (of 2)
Justin H. Smith
The examination of those who squint demonstrates the untenability of this theory.Schweigger on Squint
Storm has pointed out, convincingly it seems to me, the untenability of the latter supposition.In Northern Mists (Volume 2 of 2)
One experiment deserves special record, as it also shows the untenability of the blood-poison theory.
This point of view illustrates the untenability of another objection to the freedom of the will, viz.Evolution
Frank B. Jevons
- (of theories, propositions, etc) incapable of being maintained, defended, or vindicated
- unable to be maintained against attack
- rare (of a house, etc) unfit for occupation
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for untenability
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper