- not timely; not occurring at a suitable time or season; ill-timed or inopportune: An untimely downpour stopped the game.
- happening too soon or too early; premature: his untimely demise.
Origin of untimely
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. unseasonable, inappropriate, inconvenient, unsuitable.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for untimeliness
They hold their jubilees in weeds rather; and the untimeliness of genius is the tragedy of life as of letters.Tablets
Amos Bronson Alcott
Most certainly, the results of the carrying out of that project were such as to prove all that they claimed of its untimeliness.Glimpses of Three Coasts
Helen Hunt Jackson
At the tone of this question Mrs. Skene suddenly realized the untimeliness of her complaints.Cashel Byron's Profession
George Bernard Shaw
- occurring before the expected, normal, or proper timean untimely death
- inappropriate to the occasion, time, or seasonhis joking at the funeral was most untimely
- prematurely or inopportunely
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for untimeliness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with untimeliness
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.