- a U-shaped turn made by a vehicle so as to head in the opposite direction from its original course.
- a reversal of policy, tactics, or the like, resembling such a maneuver.
- to execute a U-turn: to U-turn into oncoming traffic.
Origin of U-turn
First recorded in 1925–30
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a turn made by a vehicle in the shape of a U, resulting in a reversal of direction
- a complete change in direction of political or other policy
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for uturned
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper