- to abolish by formal or official means; annul by an authoritative act; repeal: to abrogate a law.
- to put aside; put an end to.
Origin of abrogate
SynonymsSee more synonyms for abrogate on Thesaurus.com
1. cancel, revoke, rescind, nullify, void, invalidate.
1. ratify, establish; preserve.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to cancel or revoke formally or officially; repeal; annul
C16: from Latin abrogātus repealed, from ab- 1 + rogāre to propose (a law)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for abrogator
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper