- Also called service ace. a placement made on a service.
- any placement.
- a serve that the opponent fails to touch.
- the point thus scored.
- Also called hole in one. a shot in which the ball is driven from the tee into the hole in one stroke: He hit a 225-yard ace on the first hole.
- a score of one stroke made on such a shot: to card an ace.
verb (used with object), aced, ac·ing.
- to receive a grade of A, as on a test or in a course (sometimes followed by out).
- to complete easily and successfully: He aced every physical fitness test they gave him.
Origin of ace
Examples from the Web for aces
Jones, it should be said, is also aces as the unfulfilled housewife (a role she plays very convincingly on Mad Men).Ethan Hawke's 'Good Kill': A Searing Indictment of America's Drone Warfare Obsession|Marlow Stern|September 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
He aces it, of course, and the commentator asks, “Was that a secret message?”Fainting, Confusion, Screams: The 9 Best Spelling Bee Stumpers (VIDEO)|Anna Klassen|May 31, 2012|DAILY BEAST
It might not be museum-quality, but as populist art, this show is aces.
There are good shots, bad shots, aces, volleys, and certain times when one side seems to have taken the lead.
They feel they hold a lot of aces, maybe more than they should.
"A hundred aces," broke in Plank's heavy voice as he played the last trick and picked up the scoring card and pencil.The Fighting Chance|Robert W. Chambers
The deal went on, and after a while two aces came out together, and two more of the red cheques were mine.The Quadroon|Mayne Reid
Those who become aces have no great faults; those with great faults become mere tallies for the aces.Aces Up|Covington Clarke
If all the aces come at the first deal, the answer is taken to be in the highest degree favorable.Telling Fortunes by Cards|Mohammed Ali
Last I saw of Saxton he was chuckling merrily over the doctor's mistake concerning the value of aces up.Plain Mary Smith|Henry Wallace Phillips
British Dictionary definitions for aces (1 of 2)
Word Origin for ace
British Dictionary definitions for aces (2 of 2)
n acronym for
Idioms and Phrases with aces
In addition to the idioms beginning with ace
- ace in the hole
- ace it
- ace out
- hold all the aces
- within an ace of