- a person who has, enjoys, or seeks adventures.
- a seeker of fortune in daring enterprises; soldier of fortune.
- a person who undertakes great commercial risk; speculator.
- a person who seeks power, wealth, or social rank by unscrupulous or questionable means: They thought John was an adventurer and after their daughter's money.
- (usually initial capital letter) a member of Camp Fire, Inc., who is between the ages of 9 and 11.
Origin of adventurer
Related Words for adventurermercenary, swashbuckler, entrepreneur, daredevil, traveler, charlatan, gambler, madcap, hero, explorer, wanderer, opportunist, venturer, heroine, speculator, pioneer, pirate, romantic, voyager, globetrotter
Examples from the Web for adventurer
Contemporary Examples of adventurer
Adventurer journalist Robert Young Pelton is crowdfunding a trip to find African warlord Joseph Kony.Robert Young Pelton on His Expedition To Find Joseph Kony
November 16, 2013
He was an adventurer and thrill seeker, but also an ardent radical socialist.This Week’s Hot Reads: Sept. 30, 2013
Thomas Flynn, Jimmy So
September 30, 2013
I want to be able to, at any point, go to the movies or out to dinner or fly to Vancouver (I know, I'm an adventurer).Why I Choose to Be Child-Free: Readers Share Their Stories
February 27, 2013
Here, adventurer TV personality and chief Scout Bear Grylls offers his best Scout's Honour.Scout's Honour
April 30, 2012
After 53 years and more than 130 expeditions, the 69-year-old adventurer is “still at it and hoping for a new discovery.”The Man Who Found the Titanic: A Tale of a Secret Expedition
April 15, 2012
Historical Examples of adventurer
To the adventurer from New York they seem always new and crude.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
The Scotch officer admired his sagacity in detecting this adventurer.Tales And Novels, Volume 4 (of 10)
Deliberately it came up and aimed at the crown of the adventurer's helmet.
The adventurer forward, though nearest to the enemy, was least exposed.Homeward Bound
James Fenimore Cooper
At this the adventurer's face tightened; his gray eyes went frosty.
- a person who seeks adventure, esp one who seeks success or money through daring exploits
- a person who seeks money or power by unscrupulous means
- a speculator
Word Origin and History for adventurer
late 15c., "one who plays at games of chance," agent noun from adventure (v.). Meaning "one who seeks adventures" is from 1660s.