[noun af-ter-noon, ahf-; adjective af-ter-noon, ahf-, af-, ahf-]
- the time from noon until evening.
- the latter part: the afternoon of life.
- pertaining to the latter part of the day.
Origin of afternoon
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the period of the day between noon and evening
- (as modifier)afternoon tea
- a middle or later partthe afternoon of life
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for afternoon's
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper