FOR POSTERITY’S SAKE, TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Words nearby ageing
Definition for ageing (2 of 2)
- a period of the history of the earth distinguished by some special feature: the Ice Age.
- a unit of geological time, shorter than an epoch, during which the rocks comprising a stage were formed.
verb (used without object), aged, ag·ing or age·ing.
verb (used with object), aged, ag·ing or age·ing.
Origin of age
synonym study for age
OTHER WORDS FROM agein·ter·age, adjectivepre·age, verb, pre·aged, pre·ag·ing.sub·age, nounun·ag·ing, adjective
Example sentences from the Web for ageing
Proponents of the Warthog, however, argue that the ageing plane has no equal in supporting troops on the ground.
For me, what was most moving was his terrible fear of ageing and his extreme dislike of his own appearance.Vogue Photographer Erwin Blumenfeld: Secrets of a Fashion Legend|Tim Teeman|September 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The Netherlands humiliates an ageing Spain, while the world looks on in disbelief.Dutch Treat: The Netherlands Sinks Spain In World Cup 2014|Tunku Varadarajan|June 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Despite the anguish, she was careful to maintain her responsibilities to her own children and ageing parents.
When I ask how he feels about ageing and his mortality now, Strub smiles.
Look at him; he is ageing, not from day to day, but from hour to hour.The Lady With The Dog and Other Stories|Anton Chekhov
On a famous occasion in the very remote past the great Giver of Life was summoned to rejuvenate the ageing king.The Evolution of the Dragon|G. Elliot Smith
My niece (as I once called her) mortified me unintentionally; she said I was ageing.The Memoires of Casanova, Complete|Jacques Casanova de Seingalt
And we hope that this strong, united, purified Germany will be a fountain of rejuvenescence to the ageing Kultur of Europe.Gems (?) of German Thought|Various
Evenings without number, after little Hal had been tucked into bed, the two ageing men had sat and smoked together.Cursed|George Allan England
British Dictionary definitions for ageing (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for ageing (2 of 2)
- a period or state of human lifehe should know better at his age; she had got beyond the giggly age
- (as modifier)age group
- a period of history marked by some feature or characteristic; era
- (capital when part of a name)the Middle Ages; the Space Age
- a period of the earth's history distinguished by special characteristicsthe age of reptiles
- the period during which a stage of rock strata is formed; a subdivision of an epoch
verb ages, ageing, aging or aged
Word Origin for age
Medical definitions for ageing
Idioms and Phrases with ageing
see act one's age; coon's age; golden age; in this day and age; of age; ripe old age; under age.