- a relative whose connection is traceable exclusively through males.
- any male relation on the father's side.
- related or akin through males or on the father's side.
- allied or akin.
Origin of agnate
Examples from the Web for agnatic
Historical Examples of agnatic
The most elementary of these groups is the maegth, the association of agnatic and cognatic relations.
A woman by her marriage forfeited her agnatic rights, to which rule there was no exception.
Agnatic inheritance would be apt to assert itself in this condition of things.
The gens is to be found in Greek and Roman history, where it is known as the agnatic kindred.The Iowa
William Harvey Miner
The importance they attached to the agnatic family is largely explained by their ideas of the future life.The Private Life of the Romans
Harold Whetstone Johnston
- related by descent from a common male ancestor
- related in any way; cognate
- a male or female descendant by male links from a common male ancestor