- a relative whose connection is traceable exclusively through males.
- any male relation on the father's side.
- related or akin through males or on the father's side.
- allied or akin.
Origin of agnate
Examples from the Web for agnate
Historical Examples of agnate
A man may not marry the widow of his brother, or of an agnate.Castes and Tribes of Southern India
Failing an agnate, a member of the gens of the dead man is to inherit.
When the father died, the nearest male of kin, even though declared unqualified as an agnate, came in as guardian.Woman under socialism
(a) If a free person is abducted, the fine shall be divided equally between his agnate and cognate heirs and the treasury.Studies in Moro History, Law, and Religion
Najeeb M. Saleeby
In Korea, for instance, he can only adopt an agnate and one of a lower generation than his own.The Soul of the Far East
- related by descent from a common male ancestor
- related in any way; cognate
- a male or female descendant by male links from a common male ancestor