- concerned with the function of nutrition; nutritive.
- pertaining to food.
- providing sustenance or maintenance.
Origin of alimentary
Related Words for alimentarycomestible, digestible, nourishing, nutrient, nutritious, salutary, nutritive, dietary, nutritional, peptic, sustaining, sustentative
Examples from the Web for alimentary
Historical Examples of alimentary
Arsenic inflames the mucous membranes of the alimentary passages.Alcohol and the Human Brain
Oversaturated, the alimentary system refuses to work properly.The Iron Ration
George Abel Schreiner
Thus the alimentary supply is conditioned solely by the heat required.The Races of Man
Of course these ceremonies are not followed by an alimentary communion.The Elementary Forms of the Religious Life
The alimentary tract is not continued into the hindermost of them.The Works of Francis Maitland Balfour, Volume II (of 4)
Francis Maitland Balfour
- of or relating to nutrition
- providing sustenance or nourishment
- Scots law free from the claims of creditorsan alimentary trust
1610s, from Medieval Latin alimentarius "pertaining to food," from Latin alimentum "nourishment," from alere "to nourish, rear, support, maintain," from PIE root *al- "to grow, nourish" (see old).
- Concerned with food, nutrition, or digestion.
- Providing nourishment.