- wife of Oeneus and mother of Toxeus, Tydeus, Meleager, and Deianira.
- the rose of Sharon, Hibiscus syriacus.
- any plant belonging to the genus Althaea, of the mallow family, having lobed leaves and showy flowers in a spikelike cluster, including the hollyhocks and marsh mallows.
Origin of althea
1660–70; < New Latin, Latin althaea < Greek althaíā marsh mallow
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for althaea
The Fates told Althaea that her son Melea'ger would live just as long as a log of wood then on the fire remained unconsumed.Character Sketches of Romance, Fiction and the Drama, Vol 1
The Rev. E. Cobham Brewer, LL.D.
- any Eurasian plant of the malvaceous genus Althaea, such as the hollyhock, having tall spikes of showy white, yellow, or red flowers
- another name for rose of Sharon (def. 2)
C17: from Latin althaea, from Greek althaia marsh mallow (literally: healing plant), from Greek althein to heal
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012