[ eyn-l ]
/ ˈeɪn l /
Save This Word!
of, relating to, involving, or near the anus: anal cancer.
- of or relating to the second stage of psychosexual development, during which gratification is derived from the retention or expulsion of feces.
- of or relating to an anal character.
- of or relating to gratification derived from stimulation of the anus: the pleasurable sensations of anal eroticism.
CAN YOU ANSWER THESE COMMON GRAMMAR DEBATES?
There are grammar debates that never die; and the ones highlighted in the questions in this quiz are sure to rile everyone up once again. Do you know how to answer the questions that cause some of the greatest grammar debates?
Question 1 of 7
Which sentence is correct?
OTHER WORDS FROM anala·nal·ly, adverbpost·a·nal, adjectivepre·a·nal, adjectivesub·a·nal, adjective
Other definitions for anal (2 of 2)
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2023
How to use anal in a sentence
We propose anal swabs as the potentially optimal specimen for SARS-CoV-2 detection for evaluation of hospital discharge of covid-19 patients.
A better parallel, for her, would maybe be the first time a penis owner used their penis for anal.The Outré Art of Pegging|Eugene Robinson|December 14, 2020|Ozy
British Dictionary definitions for anal
/ (ˈeɪnəl) /
of, relating to, or near the anus
- relating to a stage of psychosexual development during which the child's interest is concentrated on the anal region and excremental functions
- designating personality traits in the adult, such as orderliness, meanness, stubbornness, etc, due to fixation at the anal stage of developmentCompare genital (def. 2), oral (def. 7), phallic (def. 2)
Derived forms of analanally, adverb
Word Origin for anal
C18: from New Latin ānālis; see anus
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012