- excessively busy with trifles; anxious or particular about petty details.
- hard to satisfy or please: a fussy eater.
- (of clothes, decoration, etc.) elaborately made, trimmed, or decorated: All the bric-a-brac gave the room a fussy, cluttered look.
- full of details, especially in excess: His writing is so fussy I lose the thread of the story.
Origin of fussy
Synonyms for fussySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for fussyscrupulous, choosy, discriminating, squeamish, conscientious, finicky, careful, dainty, difficult, exact, exacting, fastidious, fretful, fuddy-duddy, heedful, painstaking, persnickety, picky, punctilious, punctual
Examples from the Web for fussy
Contemporary Examples of fussy
It was nearing naptime and so the three hurried to grab groceries, worrying that the baby would get fussy after too long.Westgate's Chilling Security Video Reveals Shopping Mall Bloodbath
September 15, 2014
The fussy legal language complicates what is sometimes a life-or-death situation.When Pro-Life Means Death
November 16, 2012
They're not fussy; they don't care who takes charge as long as someone does.End the War in Afghanistan Now?
March 26, 2011
Three years in Singapore: another alien identity card and immense red tape in that fussy, litigious bureaucracy.Arizona, Show Your Papers? So What!
May 4, 2010
It feels dated, the staff far too fussy, and for the money you can do a lot better.Gal With a Suitcase
April 3, 2010
Historical Examples of fussy
The dear fussy little woman said that John had been telephoning inquiries.The Bacillus of Beauty
But why be fussy about clothes when God has given you only one life to live?Ruggles of Red Gap
Harry Leon Wilson
The Misses Cabot welcomed her with fussy and dignified condescension.Mary-'Gusta
Joseph C. Lincoln
For a critter as fussy and particular about some things, he's careless enough about others.Keziah Coffin
Joseph C. Lincoln
"Well, if you want to call it fussy, she is," Rosamond groaned.Phyllis
- inclined to fuss over minor points
- very particular about detail
- characterized by overelaborate detailthe furniture was too fussy to be elegant