- situated before or at the front of; fore (opposed to posterior).
- going before in time or sequence; preceding; earlier: events anterior to the outbreak of war.
- Linguistics. (in distinctive feature analysis) articulated in the region extending from the alveolar ridge to the lips; alveolar, dental, or labial.
- (in animals and embryos) pertaining to or toward the head or forward end of the body.
- (in humans) pertaining to or toward the front plane of the body, equivalent to the ventral surface of quadrupeds.
- Botany. on the front side and away from the main axis, as the lower lip of a flower.
Origin of anterior
Related Words for anteriorlypreviously, ahead, since, back, sooner, ante, ere, fore, former, formerly, forward, gone, heretofore, past, previous, afore, aforetime, antecedently, anteriorly
Examples from the Web for anteriorly
Historical Examples of anteriorly
Annihilation is impossible if anteriorly it was something real.Plotinos: Complete Works, v. 2
Anteriorly it does not form part of the margin of the anteorbital notch.The Beaked Whales of the Family Ziphidae
In this animal there are only two gut-diverticula, which are situated most anteriorly.The Origin of Vertebrates
Walter Holbrook Gaskell
It unites dorsally with the exoccipitals and anteriorly with the basisphenoid.
Dorsally it is fixed to the squamosal and anteriorly to the quadratojugal.
- situated at or towards the front
- earlier in time
- zoology of or near the head end
- botany (of part of a flower or leaf) situated farthest away from the main stem
Word Origin for anterior
1610s, Latin, literally "former," comparative of ante "before" (see ante). Related: Anteriority.
- Placed before or in front.
- Occurring before in time; earlier.
- Of or relating to the front surface of the body, especially of the position of one structure relative to another; ventral.
- Near the head or rostral end of certain embryos.
- The front surface of the body.