[awr-ee-en-tl-iz-uh m, ohr-]
- a peculiarity or idiosyncrasy of the peoples of Asia, especially the East.
- the character or characteristics of the peoples of Asia, especially the East.
- the knowledge and study of Asian, especially Eastern languages, literature, etc.
Origin of Orientalism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- knowledge of or devotion to the Orient
- an Oriental quality, style, or trait
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper