- a peculiarity or idiosyncrasy of the peoples of Asia, especially the East.
- the character or characteristics of the peoples of Asia, especially the East.
- the knowledge and study of Asian, especially Eastern languages, literature, etc.
Origin of Orientalism
Examples from the Web for orientalism
Contemporary Examples of orientalism
The last section, “Orientalism,” is exquisite and gilded, with golden-hued floral wallpaper.What Drives Fashion Designer Dries Van Noten
March 4, 2014
Brad Gooch on how the ghost of Edward Said's 'Orientalism' haunts the work.
Orientalism was the equivalent of an academic beach book during in the summer of 1979—a “cult bible,” says Warner.
Historical Examples of orientalism
A specimen of this ‘orientalism’ we gave in our last number.
Then he was ushered into the cabin, that was replete with Orientalism as well.A Little Girl in Old Salem
Amanda Minnie Douglas
They show considerable freedom of invention and a large fund of Orientalism.The Library
He struck his hands together, a bit of orientalism he had brought back with him.The Place of Honeymoons
The capitals are of somewhat composite order, with a leaning to Orientalism.The Cathedral Builders
- knowledge of or devotion to the Orient
- an Oriental quality, style, or trait