- of or relating to a centralized government that does not tolerate parties of differing opinion and that exercises dictatorial control over many aspects of life.
- exercising control over the freedom, will, or thought of others; authoritarian; autocratic.
- an adherent of totalitarianism.
Origin of totalitarian
Examples from the Web for anti-totalitarian
Contemporary Examples of anti-totalitarian
He would later say that the war pitted the anti-totalitarian left against the anti-imperialist left.My Friend and Mentor, Christopher Hitchens
December 16, 2013
- of, denoting, relating to, or characteristic of a dictatorial one-party state that regulates every realm of life
- a person who advocates or practises totalitarian policies
Word Origin for totalitarian
1926, first in reference to Italian fascism, formed in English on model of Italian totalitario "complete, absolute, totalitarian," from the Italian cognate of English total (adj.). The noun is recorded from 1938.