- favoring complete obedience or subjection to authority as opposed to individual freedom: authoritarian principles; authoritarian attitudes.
- of or relating to a governmental or political system, principle, or practice in which individual freedom is held as completely subordinate to the power or authority of the state, centered either in one person or a small group that is not constitutionally accountable to the people.
- exercising complete or almost complete control over the will of another or of others: an authoritarian parent.
- a person who favors or acts according to authoritarian principles.
Origin of authoritarian
Related Words for authoritariandictatorial, imperious, totalitarian, strict, rigid, autocratic, tyrannical, autocrat, disciplinarian, doctrinaire, absolute, dictator, tyrant, despot, absolutist, authoritative, despotic, dogmatic, harsh, magisterial
Examples from the Web for authoritarian
Contemporary Examples of authoritarian
And yes, that authoritarian, patriarchal guru-power structure, invariably, always leads to abuses.Is India’s Fallen ‘God-Man’ So Different From a Megachurch Pastor?
November 21, 2014
Perhaps that name should not be felt so ruefully today, despite the reversion to authoritarian control in Egypt.You Say You Want to Name a Revolution?
October 5, 2014
Rivers continued on her political, authoritarian monologue by describing what kind of tyrant she would be.What Joan Rivers Said She Would Do If She Were Dictator of America
September 5, 2014
The crisis in neighbouring Ukraine has rattled Alexander Lukashenko's authoritarian regime.The Daily Beast’s Best Longreads, June 14, 2014
The Daily Beast
June 14, 2014
Coaches have, nevertheless, found Zaatari a somewhat more accommodating sporting environment than their authoritarian homeland.Syria’s Female Refugee Soccer Stars
March 31, 2014
Historical Examples of authoritarian
At this yielding he, being by nature an authoritarian, seemed not a little pleased.The God of Love
Justin Huntly McCarthy
He has the harsh, authoritarian manner of the provincial of importance.Three Plays
These are the authoritarian or State Socialist and the individualist methods.Anarchy
A third point to be noted is the authoritarian character of the regime of the future.The Idea of Progress
J. B. Bury
The authoritarian nightmare of the 1960s has come home for them.Little Brother
- favouring, denoting, or characterized by strict obedience to authority
- favouring, denoting, or relating to government by a small elite with wide powers
- despotic; dictatorial; domineering
- a person who favours or practises authoritarian policies