- having due authority; having the sanction or weight of authority: an authoritative opinion.
- substantiated or supported by documentary evidence and accepted by most authorities in a field: an authoritative edition of Shakespeare; an authoritative treatment of a subject.
- having an air of authority; accustomed to exercising authority; positive; peremptory; dictatorial: said with an authoritative air.
Origin of authoritative
Synonyms for authoritativeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for authoritativedefinitive, truthful, accurate, scholarly, trustworthy, dependable, factual, authentic, reliable, imposing, decisive, commanding, confirmed, faithful, learned, legit, righteous, sound, verified, veritable
Examples from the Web for authoritative
Contemporary Examples of authoritative
Coren, a striking blond with an authoritative manner and a deep voice, stayed with the story all night and well into the next day.CNN's Overnight Sydney Star
December 16, 2014
These days, authoritative feminist discourse is no longer just a spectator sport.The Perils of Glitzy Celebrity Feminism Having a Moment
October 15, 2014
Dunham makes fun of herself only so that she can then hedge and embrace an authoritative role.Time to Grow Up, Lena Dunham
October 10, 2014
Director Peter Bogdanovich wrote in the New York Times Book Review that John Wayne is “authoritative and thoroughly engaging.”The Best Biographies of 2014 (So Far)
July 6, 2014
Yes, all of these claims have been made by authoritative Mormons over the years.The Core Mormon Teaching the LDS Church Didn’t Jettison
April 7, 2014
Historical Examples of authoritative
"But you must understand this," Mary went on, with an authoritative note in her voice.Within the Law
She had not experimented to an authoritative extent with the desert pickles.Her Father's Daughter
He counted very much on me, but he was authoritative and persistent.
But, placid as she was, my mother was authoritative, and could not endure any kind of constraint.
"I will stay," said Artois, with a sudden return of his authoritative manner.A Spirit in Prison
- recognized or accepted as being true or reliablean authoritative article on drugs
- exercising or asserting authority; commandingan authoritative manner
- possessing or supported by authority; officialan authoritative communiqué