- elevation of the blood pressure, especially the diastolic pressure.
- an arterial disease characterized by this condition.
- excessive or extreme emotional tenseness.
Origin of hypertension
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- pathol abnormally high blood pressure
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Persistent high blood pressure.
- Arterial disease in which chronic high blood pressure is the primary symptom.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Abnormally high blood pressure, especially in the arteries. High blood pressure increases the risk for heart attack and stroke. Also called high blood pressure
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Abnormally high blood pressure.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.