- an antitoxin present in the blood of an animal following repeated injections of venom.
- the antitoxic serum obtained from such blood.
Origin of antivenin
Related Words for antiveninremedy, cure, corrective, countermeasure, medicine, antitoxin, preventive, antivenin, antibiotic, antiseptic, antiserum, vaccine, antibody, serum, counteractant, counteragent, negator, neutralizer
Examples from the Web for antivenin
Historical Examples of antivenin
Ten to 20 units may be necessary to prevent the relapse that sometimes occurs after small doses of antivenin.
In bites producing symptoms of this severity, antivenin must be given in amounts large enough to produce clinical improvement.
Careful evaluation of the severity of the bite and the patient's sensitivity should be made before the use of antivenin.
Antivenin—Antiserum is the keystone to the therapy of snakebite.
- an antitoxin that counteracts a specific venom, esp snake venom
Word Origin for antivenin
- An antitoxin active against venom.
- An antitoxin active against the venom of a snake, spider, or other venomous animal or insect.
- An animal serum containing antivenins, used in medicine to treat poisoning caused by animal or insect venom.