- an instrument, apparatus, or device for a particular purpose or use.
- a piece of equipment, usually operated electrically, especially for use in the home or for performance of domestic chores, as a refrigerator, washing machine, or toaster.
- the act of applying; application.
- Archaic. a measure; stratagem.
- Obsolete. compliance.
- to equip with appliances: a fully applianced kitchen.
Origin of appliance
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for appliance
So what, exactly, had happened, how did Proofpoint figure it out, and what should appliance owners around the world do now?Your Refrigerator Is Vulnerable to a Cyberattack
January 23, 2014
The animal rescue unit was stood down before it reached Bucklebury and the appliance returned home.Drama As Kate’s Other Baby Gets Its Head Stuck in Gates
July 19, 2013
It kind of looks like an appliance you would legitimately have in your kitchen.Easy-Bake Oven Mans Up: Hasbro to Manufacture Boy-Friendly Design
December 18, 2012
And, indeed, every means and appliance of bodily comfort was at hand.Hidden Hand
Emma Dorothy Eliza Nevitte Southworth
The appliance for lifting the bucket was of the most primitive type.Dwellers in the Hills
Melville Davisson Post
This required drills, fuse-powder, and all the appliance of the quarry.Shadows of Shasta
So does every tool, appliance, and machine we use, and so do all the people with whom we interact.The Civilization of Illiteracy
No horses, after this appliance, were afflicted with sore backs.The Prairie Traveler
- a machine or device, esp an electrical one used domestically
- any piece of equipment having a specific function
- a device fitted to a machine or tool to adapt it for a specific purpose
- another name for a fire engine
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for appliance
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A dental or surgical device designed to perform a therapeutic or corrective function.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.