- fond of or given to argument and dispute; disputatious; contentious: The law students were an unusually argumentative group.
- of or characterized by argument; controversial: an argumentative attitude toward political issues.
- Law. arguing or containing arguments suggesting that a certain fact tends toward a certain conclusion.
Origin of argumentative
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for argumentativeness
Historical Examples of argumentativeness
In this way I probably developed the strain of argumentativeness, or perhaps combativeness, which has always remained with me.Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie
- given to arguing; contentious
- characterized by argument; controversial
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper