- the more or less established structure, pattern, or scheme followed in shaping an artistic work: The sonata, the sonnet, and the novel are all art forms.
- a medium for artistic expression: ballet, sculpture, opera, and other art forms.
- a medium other than the artistic regarded as having highly developed or systematized rules, procedures, or formulations: international diplomacy regarded as an art form.
Origin of art form
Examples from the Web for art form
Historical Examples of art form
Ferrara' is a good example of the constitution of this art-form.Introduction to Robert Browning
And in this fact—for a fact it is—lies the completest justification of opera as an art-form.The Opera
Besides, being confessedly an art-form, duly licensed to lie, it is apt to be misunderstood.Prose Fancies
Richard Le Gallienne
The doctrine of the Eternal Recurrence appears for the last time here, in an art-form.Thus Spake Zarathustra
We say that property may express a man's religion, and that the way a man has of being rich or of being poor may be an art-form.Crowds
Gerald Stanley Lee
- a conventionally established form of artistic composition, such as the symphony or the sonnet
- a recognized medium of artistic expression