- a former native kingdom and British colony in W Africa: now a region of Ghana. 9700 sq. mi. (25,123 sq. km). Capital: Kumasi.
- a native or inhabitant of Ashanti.
- the dialect of Akan spoken by the people of Ashanti.
Examples from the Web for ashanti
Historical Examples of ashanti
In 1863 occurred what is usually called the Second Ashanti War.The History of the First West India Regiment
A. B. Ellis
The new commander of the Ashanti force was captured, tried, and hanged.
After driving these off the force proceeded, but were soon met by an Ashanti force.
The Ashanti rising was the result of long premeditation and preparation.
It was decided that the advance into Ashanti should be attempted from two different points.Our Sailors
- an administrative region of central Ghana: former native kingdom, suppressed by the British in 1900 after four wars. Capital: Kumasi. Pop: 3 187 607 (2000). Area: 24 390 sq km (9417 sq miles)
- plural -ti or -tis a native or inhabitant of Ashanti
1705, Asiantines, one of the Akan people of central Ghana; native name.