- (initial capital letter) Horticulture. a tart, usually red or yellow variety of apple.
- a fur of young lambs, with lustrous, closely curled wool, from Astrakhan.
- Also called astrakhan cloth. a fabric with curled pile resembling astrakhan fur.
Origin of astrakhan
Examples from the Web for astrachan
Historical Examples of astrachan
She got into her little blue jacket, with its neat collar and cuffs of astrachan.Mary Gray
The American marveled at a recently immigrated Slav's astrachan cap.The Trail of the Hawk
The governor of Astrachan had been but too faithful a prophet.Stories of Exile
The Governor of Astrachan had been but too faithful a prophet.Narrative And Miscellaneous Papers
Thomas De Quincey
This suburban estimation of personal worth was a confirmation of my conclusion drawn from the rags beneath the astrachan coat.Jewel Mysteries
- a fur, usually black or grey, made of the closely curled wool of lambs from Astrakhan
- a cloth with curled pile resembling this
- (modifier) made of such fur or clothan astrakhan collar
- a city in SE Russia, on the delta of the Volga River, 21 m (70 ft) below sea level. Pop: 507 000 (2005 est)