[as-im-tot-ik or as-im-tot-i-kuh l]
- of or relating to an asymptote.
- (of a function) approaching a given value as an expression containing a variable tends to infinity.
- (of two functions) so defined that their ratio approaches unity as the independent variable approaches a limit or infinity.
- (of a formula) becoming increasingly exact as a variable approaches a limit, usually infinity.
- coming into consideration as a variable approaches a limit, usually infinity: asymptotic property; asymptotic behavior.
Origin of asymptotic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of or referring to an asymptote
- (of a function, series, formula, etc) approaching a given value or condition, as a variable or an expression containing a variable approaches a limit, usually infinity
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper