[ bey-bee ]
/ ˈbeɪ bi /
noun, plural ba·bies.
an infant or very young child.
a newborn or very young animal.
the youngest member of a family, group, etc.
an immature or childish person.
a human fetus.
- Sometimes Disparaging and Offensive. a girl or woman, especially an attractive one.
- a person of whom one is deeply fond; sweetheart.
- (sometimes initial capital letter) an affectionate or familiar address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., especially by a male to a female).
- a man or boy; chap; fellow: He's a tough baby to have to deal with.
- an invention, creation, project, or the like that requires one's special attention or expertise or of which one is especially proud.
- an object; thing: Is that car there your baby?
of or suitable for a baby: baby clothes.
of or like a baby; infantile: baby skin.
small; comparatively little: a baby car.
treating babies: a baby doctor.
verb (used with object), ba·bied, ba·by·ing.
to treat like a young child; pamper.
to handle or use with special care; treat gently.
ba·by·hood, nounba·by·ish, adjectiveba·by·ish·ly, adverbba·by·ish·ness, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
British Dictionary definitions for babier
/ (ˈbeɪbɪ) /
noun plural -bies
- a newborn or recently born child; infant
- (as modifier)baby food
an unborn child; fetus
the youngest or smallest of a family or group
- a newborn or recently born animal
- (as modifier)baby rabbits
usually derogatory an immature person
slang a young woman or sweetheart: often used as a term of address expressing affection
a project of personal concern
be left holding the baby to be left with the responsibility
throw the baby out with the bath water to lose the essential element by indiscriminate rejection
(prenominal) comparatively small of its typea baby car
verb -bies, -bying or -bied (tr)
to treat with love and attention
to treat (someone) like a baby; pamper or overprotect
Derived Formsbabyhood, nounbabyish, adjective
Word Origin for baby
C14: probably childish reduplication; compare mama, papa 1
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Medicine definitions for babier
[ bā′bē ]
A very young child; an infant.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Idioms and Phrases with babier
see throw out the baby with the bath water.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.