- Sometimes Disparaging and Offensive. a girl or woman, especially an attractive one.
- a person of whom one is deeply fond; sweetheart.
- (sometimes initial capital letter) an affectionate or familiar address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., especially by a male to a female).
- a man or boy; fellow: He's a tough baby to have to deal with.
- an invention, creation, project, or the like that requires one's special attention or expertise or of which one is especially proud: His charitable foundation is his baby and it truly shows.
- an object; thing: Those big babies can carry a lot of cargo.
OTHER WORDS FROM baby
How to use baby in a sentence
In Rwanda, as we watched the young fathers hold their babies, we saw a contented look in their eyes.
The men use the dolls to practice the basics of caring for babies.
The bye bye is being sung, incidentally, by mothers to their babies condemned to death by King Herod.
Other female penguins would have their babies “misused before the very eyes of its parents.”Lovable ‘Madagascar’ Penguins Are Known to Rape and Torture in Real Life|Asawin Suebsaeng|November 26, 2014|DAILY BEAST
“When immigrants hear ‘anchor babies,’ they hear ‘they hate us,’” says Sharry.Get Ready to Start Hearing About ‘Executive Amnesty for Anchor Babies’|Eleanor Clift|November 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The same outpourings of affection are seen in the dealings of children with their toy babies and animals.Children's Ways|James Sully
And you know that all babies, especially little babies, sleep a great deal.
Yung Pak's earliest days were spent very much as are those of most babies, whether they live in Korea or America.
Some of those babies we know are cared for on cushions of down and wrapped in soft flannels and delicate muslins.Alila, Our Little Philippine Cousin|Mary Hazelton Wade
Josie says, "I think they were real cross not to let a little girl just look at their babies."
British Dictionary definitions for baby
- a newborn or recently born child; infant
- (as modifier)baby food
- a newborn or recently born animal
- (as modifier)baby rabbits
Derived forms of babybabyhood, nounbabyish, adjective
Word Origin for baby
Medical definitions for baby
Other Idioms and Phrases with baby
see throw out the baby with the bath water.