- Sometimes Disparaging and Offensive. a girl or woman, especially an attractive one.
- a person of whom one is deeply fond; sweetheart.
- (sometimes initial capital letter) an affectionate or familiar address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., especially by a male to a female).
- a man or boy; fellow: He's a tough baby to have to deal with.
- an invention, creation, project, or the like that requires one's special attention or expertise or of which one is especially proud: His charitable foundation is his baby and it truly shows.
- an object; thing: Those big babies can carry a lot of cargo.
OTHER WORDS FROM baby
Words nearby baby
How to use baby in a sentence
“My dream is that every woman will be able to bring a baby into the world calmly and gently,” she told the Globe.Marie Mongan, champion of hypnobirthing, dies at 86|Olesia Plokhii|February 11, 2021|Washington Post
My baby right now, the thing that I fight every single day for actively, is the Equal Rights Amendment, which is written by Alice Paul in the early 1900s.Actress, Mother, Activist Alyssa Milano on Life as a Triple Threat|Esabelle Lee|February 11, 2021|Ozy
They are most famously made from bright blue fleece, or, in the company’s new “sherpa” line, baby blue and lilac, and they seem pretty flammable.The Most Practical Outdoor Dining Outfit Is a Snuggie|Jaya Saxena|February 9, 2021|Eater
The new mom and dad created an online photo album, sent out invitations to everyone to join and view it, and they add many baby photos daily.Miss Manners: Family member’s manners have gone to the dogs|Judith Martin, Nicholas Martin, Jacobina Martin|February 9, 2021|Washington Post
At first, they look like a mobile above a baby’s crib or playful sculptures in the vein of Alexander Calder.Baltimore exhibition of outsider art celebrates nature’s ‘excess’ with a wake-up call about pollution|Kelsey Ables|February 8, 2021|Washington Post
How about baby drama with little Abijean and the Wee Baby Seamus?
He has wild swings between trying not to care about Lana and the baby, and being completely obsessed by it.
The pale, baby-faced, red-cheeked rapper is furiously puffing away at a hastily-made blunt crammed with low-grade weed.The Cult of Yung Lean: ‘I’m Building An Anarchistic Society From the Ground Up’|Marlow Stern|January 4, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Three months ago, the two had a baby together and the Internet mostly just shrugged.All Your Internet Boyfriends Are Taken: Gosling, Cumberbatch, and now Joseph Gordon-Levitt|Melissa Leon|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
At present, not every woman is young enough, fertile enough, or healthy enough to have a baby using her own eggs or her own womb.
Aristide replaced the baby, and with a complicated arrangement of string fastened it securely to the seat.
She had carried the baby over to Juana's and left her there, that she might be free to serve the Father's supper.Ramona|Helen Hunt Jackson
Keep closely covered with a bell glass and, in a few weeks, more or less, the baby Ferns will start to put in an appearance.How to Know the Ferns|S. Leonard Bastin
It is a fearsome thing for a man to be left alone in the dead of night with a young baby.
The man with the automobile, the corn-cure, and the baby grew to be legendary in the villages of Provence.
British Dictionary definitions for baby
- a newborn or recently born child; infant
- (as modifier)baby food
- a newborn or recently born animal
- (as modifier)baby rabbits
Derived forms of babybabyhood, nounbabyish, adjective
Word Origin for baby
Medical definitions for baby
Other Idioms and Phrases with baby
see throw out the baby with the bath water.