noun, plural ba·bies.
- Sometimes Disparaging and Offensive. a girl or woman, especially an attractive one.
- a person of whom one is deeply fond; sweetheart.
- (sometimes initial capital letter) an affectionate or familiar address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., especially by a male to a female).
- a man or boy; chap; fellow: He's a tough baby to have to deal with.
- an invention, creation, project, or the like that requires one's special attention or expertise or of which one is especially proud.
- an object; thing: Is that car there your baby?
verb (used with object), ba·bied, ba·by·ing.
Words nearby baby
OTHER WORDS FROM baby
Definition for baby (2 of 2)
Examples from the Web for baby
How about baby drama with little Abijean and the Wee Baby Seamus?
He has wild swings between trying not to care about Lana and the baby, and being completely obsessed by it.
Three months ago, the two had a baby together and the Internet mostly just shrugged.All Your Internet Boyfriends Are Taken: Gosling, Cumberbatch, and now Joseph Gordon-Levitt|Melissa Leon|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
At present, not every woman is young enough, fertile enough, or healthy enough to have a baby using her own eggs or her own womb.
She was gonna be in New York and wanted to hang around for New Years and hopefully be able to stay long enough to meet our baby.Deer Tick's John McCauley on Ten Years in Rock and Roll|James Joiner|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
In the summer of 1874 baby Theodore was born, and none from Fort Sully came to our annual meeting.Mary and I|Stephen Return Riggs
Clark had left twenty men, the Indian girl and her baby, and they had fifty horses.The Young Alaskans on the Missouri|Emerson Hough
You don't mean to say you've got that baby Cunarder with you down here in these waters?Pirates' Hope|Francis Lynde
It was as the utterance of a baby child but just learning to articulate.The Gateless Barrier|Lucas Malet
She'll slide into the sand like a baby nestling down into a crib.Blow The Man Down|Holman Day
British Dictionary definitions for baby
noun plural -bies
- a newborn or recently born child; infant
- (as modifier)baby food
- a newborn or recently born animal
- (as modifier)baby rabbits
verb -bies, -bying or -bied (tr)
Derived forms of babybabyhood, nounbabyish, adjective
Word Origin for baby
Medical definitions for baby
Idioms and Phrases with baby
see throw out the baby with the bath water.