- implements, utensils, or other articles for service: I'll wash the breakfast things.
- personal possessions or belongings: Pack your things and go!
- something that is correct or fashionable: That café is the thing now.
- that which is expedient or necessary: The thing to do is to tell them the truth.
- to be unable to obtain information or news from: The police couldn't get a thing out of him.
- to fail to appreciate, understand, or derive aesthetic pleasure from: My wife likes opera, but I don't get a thing out of it.
Origin of thing1
Definition for thing (2 of 2)
Origin of thing2
Examples from the Web for thing
“They sure took the Sony thing seriously,” Attkisson said dryly.Ex-CBS Reporter Sharyl Attkisson’s Battle Royale With the Feds|Lloyd Grove|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But the other thing that needs to be done is for us citizens to do.
No one seems to know who that is—or why they would want to do such a thing.
When I was in Holland, this is the kind of thing people feared.
The first thing they told us was that the traffickers are now using Turkish ports, which are relatively easy to reach from Syria.
You know, looking after the stores and all that sort of thing.The War-Workers|E.M. Delafield
Now I had never thought of such a thing until he suggested it.The Story of Scraggles|George Wharton James
The latter would sometimes exclaim, before the agents and the heirs were fairly out of hearing, "I can't understand the thing!"Ursula|Honore de Balzac
All things were made by Him, and without Him was not any thing made that was made.The Gospel of St. John|Frederick Denison Maurice
In vain my mother took a world of trouble to explain the thing to me.The Essays of "George Eliot"|George Eliot
British Dictionary definitions for thing (1 of 2)
Word Origin for thing
British Dictionary definitions for thing (2 of 2)
Word Origin for thing
Idioms and Phrases with thing
In addition to the idiom beginning with thing
- thing or two
- things are looking up
- all the rage (thing)
- all things to all men
- amount to the same thing
- do one's thing
- first thing
- first things first
- for one (thing)
- get (a thing) going
- get into the swing of things
- greatest thing since sliced bread
- have a good thing going
- have a thing about
- just one of those things
- know all the answers (a thing or two)
- little knowledge is a dangerous thing
- near thing
- no such thing
- not know beans (the first thing)
- of all things
- other things being equal
- seeing things
- sure thing
- the latest (thing)
- the thing
- the thing is
- too much of a good thing
- very thing