- to cross (a hybrid of the first generation) with either of its parents.
- an instance of such crossing.
Origin of backcross
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to mate (a hybrid of the first generation) with one of its parents
- the offspring so produced
- the act or process of backcrossing
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- To cross a hybrid with one of its parents or with an individual genetically identical to one of its parents. Backcrossing is used in research to isolate genetic characteristics found in one of the parents.
- The act of making such a cross.
- An individual resulting from such a cross.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.