Definition for bade (2 of 3)
verb (used with object), bade or (Archaic) bad for 1, 2, 5 or bid for 3, 4; bid·den or bid for 1, 2, 5 or bid for 3, 4; bid·ding.
verb (used without object), bade or (Archaic) bad for 6 or bid for 7; bid·den or bid for 6 or bid for 7; bid·ding.
- an offer to make a specified number of points or to take a specified number of tricks.
- the amount of such an offer.
- the turn of a person to bid.
Verb Phrases past and past participle bid, present participle bid·ding.
Origin of bid1
Related formsbid·der, noun
Can be confusedbidder bitter
Definition for bade (3 of 3)
Examples from the Web for bade
Yanukovych bade them farewell and relinquished his right to state guards.
I did as she bade me, and left her there when the maid came in.Read ‘The King in Yellow,’ the ‘True Detective’ Reference That’s the Key to the Show|Robert W. Chambers|February 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
It helped her to bow to the commands of this man when he bade her marry him, and she loved him!The House of the Misty Star|Fannie Caldwell Macaulay
Stina made her appearance as they came to the last words; she bade them come with her and they obeyed.Magnhild Dust|Bjrnstjerne Bjrnson
As he bade me good morning, he remarked, "I would not like to be in your place to-day."Cattle and Cattle-breeders|William M'Combie
Smiths they bade a casket / work full hastily All of gold and silver / that great and strong should be.The Nibelungenlied|Unknown
Rita Dresden married Monte Irvin in the spring and bade farewell to the stage.Dope|Sax Rohmer
British Dictionary definitions for bade (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for bade (2 of 2)
verb bids, bidding, bad, bade, esp for senses 1, 2, 5, 7 bid, bidden or esp for senses 1, 2, 5, 7 bid
- an offer of a specified amount, as at an auction
- the price offered
- a statement by a buyer, in response to an offer by a seller, of the more favourable terms that would be acceptable
- the price or other terms so stated
- the number of tricks a player undertakes to make
- a player's turn to make a bid