- Also called, especially British, barber's shop. the place of business of a barber.
- the singing of four-part harmony in barbershop style or the music sung in this style.
- specializing in the unaccompanied part-singing of popular songs in which four voices move in close, highly chromatic harmony: a barbershop quartet.
- characteristic of such part-singing.
Origin of barbershop
Related Words for barbershopbarber
Examples from the Web for barbershop
Contemporary Examples of barbershop
The rapper doesn't disappoint in this feel good comedy, which chronicles a day in the life of a South Side Chicago barbershop.
(Netflix, June 23) Barbershop (2002) Nothing feels better on a hot summer day than Ice Cube.
Jimmy Fallon and Kevin Spacey's barbershop quartet cover of Jason Derulo's 'Talk Dirty?'Viral Video of the Day: 'Talk Dirty' Gets a Supercover
Alex Chancey, Ben Teitelbaum
May 6, 2014
You don't waste time at a barbershop, even though the one in Toronto's Leaside is really efficient and friendly.Peter Worthington Cut His Own Hair
May 13, 2013
And I picked up sarcasm by watching the older cats at the barbershop.Big Daddy Kane: The Hip-Hop MC on Las Supper, Madonna, Jay-Z, and What’s Next
April 16, 2013
Historical Examples of barbershop
A colored man, called Banks, had a barbershop that stood up on blocks.Old Rail Fence Corners
He went out to get his cart, which he had left outside the barbershop.
He realized that getting bills changed at the barbershop was over.
At the close of this parade we dropped into a barbershop for a shave.
Quickly he led the way out of sight of the barbershop windows.The Electronic Mind Reader
- mainly US the premises of a barber
- (modifier) denoting or characterized by a type of close four-part harmony for male voices, popular in romantic and sentimental songs of the 1920s and 1930sa barbershop quartet