- an awkward, usually unintentional dive in which the front of the body strikes the water horizontally, the abdomen or chest bearing the brunt of the impact.
- a maneuver with a sled in which the sledder runs with the sled to gain momentum and jumps forward to land on top of the sled as it moves through the snow.
- a failure; flop.
Sometimes belly flopper.
Origin of belly flop
First recorded in 1890–95
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for belly-flopper
"Moles has gone a belly-flopper," shouted the crowd, as it wept with laughter.Tell England
- a dive into water in which the body lands horizontally
- another name for belly landing
- (intr) to perform a belly flop
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012