- again (used as an enthusiastic call for the repetition of a musical performance).
Origin of bis1
- a sheer, often embroidered linen, used in the manufacture of altar cloths.
Origin of bis2
- Slang. bisexual.
Origin of bi
- Bank for International Settlements.
- British Information Services.
Examples from the Web for bis
Historical Examples of bis
The emblem, with the motto "Bis fracta relinquor," at p. 249.
At once to a murmur of bravos, the applause of gloved hands and a cry of Bis!The Monster
The word BIS denotes, in all probability, the frequency with which it was to be used daily.Archaeological Essays Vol. 2
James Y. Simpson
Several of them had their coats off, their ties, and even their waistcoats; and they shouted 'bis!'On the Eve
Bis (twice), and coctus (cooked), show that they were twice baked.Science in the Kitchen.
Mrs. E. E. Kellogg
- twice; for a second time (used in musical scores to indicate a part to be repeated)
- encore! again!
Word Origin for bis
- Bank for International Settlements: an institution, based in Basel, Switzerland, that accepts deposits, makes loans for national central banks, and assists in offsetting speculative movements of funds between the major currencies; set up in 1930
- Bosnia-Herzegovina (international car registration)
1956 as a colloquial abbreviation of bisexual.
- The symbol for the elementbismuth
- The symbol for bismuth.