- a fee paid to a hired murderer.
- compensation paid to the next of kin of a slain person.
- money obtained ruthlessly and at a cost of suffering to others.
- money paid to an informer in order to cause somebody to be arrested, convicted, or especially executed.
Examples from the Web for blood money
Historical Examples of blood money
The insult of the father had released him from the blood-money for the son.Peter the Priest
Raban, who begged for blood-money, was counting the copper coins which he had received.Complete Short Works
If a citizen be killed, there is a subscription for blood-money.
Is it nothing by you how I painted up your house with my own blood-money?Hungry Hearts
Can you not see that, in one sense, in a sort of way, it is almost like blood-money?Mrs. Dorriman, Volume 3 of 3
Julie Bosville Chetwynd
- compensation paid to the relatives of a murdered person
- money paid to a hired murderer
- a reward for information about a criminal, esp a murderer