[ bool ]

noun(often initial capital letter)Furniture.
  • Also called boulle·work [bool-wurk]. /ˈbulˌwɜrk/.

Words Nearby boulle Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2024

How to use boulle in a sentence

British Dictionary definitions for boulle


boule or buhl

/ (buːl) /

  1. denoting or relating to a type of marquetry of patterned inlays of brass and tortoiseshell, occasionally with other metals such as pewter, much used on French furniture from the 17th century

  1. Also called: boullework something ornamented with such marquetry

Origin of boulle

C18: named after André Charles Boulle (1642–1732), French cabinet-maker

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012