- the drone pipe of a bagpipe.
- the drone string of a stringed instrument.
- a low-pitched tone; bass.
- a pipe organ stop of very low pitch.
- the bell in a carillon having the lowest pitch.
Origin of bourdon
Examples from the Web for bourdon
Historical Examples of bourdon
The dim roar of London was like the bourdon note of a distant organ.The Picture of Dorian Gray
“Bourdon, arm all batteries and lock onto that Mancji ship,” I ordered.Greylorn
John Keith Laumer
He manages a canoe well, when himself; so go, Bourdon, while you can.
There are several—one is at your feet, Bourdon—and here, I have another.
But what have you in charge that has anything to do with Bourdon and me?
- a 16-foot organ stop of the stopped diapason type
- the drone of a bagpipe
- a drone or pedal point in the bass of a harmonized melody