- an animal, plant, or person that produces offspring or reproduces.
- a person who raises animals or plants primarily for breeding purposes.
- Also called breeder reactor. Energy. a nuclear reactor in which more fissile material is produced than is consumed.
- Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. a contemptuous term used by gays to refer to a heterosexual.
- Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. a contemptuous term used especially by child-free people to refer to a biological parent.
Origin of breeder
- a person who breeds plants or animals
- something that reproduces, esp to excessrabbits are persistent breeders
- an animal kept for breeding purposes
- a source or causea breeder of discontent
- short for breeder reactor
Word Origin and History for breeder reactor
1570s, "one who produces or originates," agent noun from breed (v.). Meaning "one who breeds cattle" or some other animal is recorded from 1530s. Of nuclear reactors, from 1948. As a scornful homosexual term for "heterosexual person," attested from 1986.
- A nuclear reactor that is used to create fissionable material (such as plutonium-239) by exposing nonfissionable material (such as uranium-238) to radiation. The source of the radiation is usually some other fissionable material. Breeder reactors produce more fissionable material than they use up.