- any of various trees or shrubs of the genus Aesculus, as A. glabra (Ohio buckeye), having palmate leaves, gray, scaly bark, and bell-shaped greenish-yellow flowers in upright clusters: the state tree of Ohio.
- the brown nut of any of these trees.
- (initial capital letter) a native or inhabitant of Ohio (used as a nickname).
- a butterfly, Precis lavinia, having dark-brown wings with purple or red eyespots.
Origin of buckeye
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for buckeye
In 1923 and 1925 over 70,000 klansmen attended two Klan rallies, known as konklaves, at Buckeye Lake.Superman Is Jewish: The Hebrew Roots of America's Greatest Superhero
August 16, 2014
As he and other Tea Party activists in the Buckeye State see it, Tuesday night was just one battle in a long, long war.Tea Party Prepared to Fight the GOP Forever, Even After Tuesday’s Losses
May 7, 2014
Two key aspects of the bill could restrict voting in the Buckeye State.Ohio Voting Bill Could Lead to Long Lines, Voter Purges
December 18, 2013
Forming the shapes of the Lincoln Memorial and a cannon among others, Buckeye fans got an entertaining and educational show.Exploding Whale, Black Friday and More Viral Videos
The Daily Beast Video
November 30, 2013
But as Republicans look to take back the White House in 2016, the Buckeye State does not appear to be cooperating.Ohio Republican Party Goes to War With Itself, Leaving 2016 in Doubt
September 4, 2013
Christie crept nearer to the edge of the slope in the shadow of a buckeye.Devil's Ford
I was talking with Dwight, from the Buckeye Camp, this morning.At the Time Appointed
A. Maynard Barbour
Buckeye boys use them for marbles, and are very proud of their namesake.
No soldiers ever had anything on the boys from the Buckeye State.The Fight for the Argonne
William Benjamin West
Phil left the court-room and resumed her walk toward Buckeye Lane.Otherwise Phyllis
- any of several North American trees of the genus Aesculus, esp A. glabra (Ohio buckeye), having erect clusters of white or red flowers and prickly fruits: family HippocastanaceaeSee also horse chestnut
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012