- of or relating to shepherds; pastoral.
- of, relating to, or suggesting an idyllic rural life.
- a pastoral poem.
- Archaic. a farmer; shepherd; rustic.
Origin of bucolic
Synonyms for bucolic
- of or characteristic of the countryside or country life; rustic
- of or relating to shepherds; pastoral
- (sometimes plural) a pastoral poem, often in the form of a dialogue
- a rustic; farmer or shepherd
Word Origin for bucolic
1610s, earlier bucolical (1520s), from Latin bucolicus, from Greek boukolikos "pastoral, rustic," from boukolos "cowherd, herdsman," from bous "cow" (see cow (n.)) + -kolos "tending," related to Latin colere "to till (the ground), cultivate, dwell, inhabit" (the root of colony). Middle Irish búachaill, Welsh bugail "shepherd" are Celtic words form from the same root material as Greek boukolos.