[boo nd, buhnd; German boo nt]
- a short form of “German-American Volksbund,” a pro-Nazi organization in the U.S. during the 1930s and 1940s.
- (often lowercase) an alliance or league, especially a political society.
Origin of Bund
< German: association, league
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bundist
Historical Examples of bundist
He was glad to think that the little Bundist had an extra chance.
A telephone-book soon betrayed the Bundist's shop, and David hurried off to enlist him.
- an embankment; dyke
- an embanked road or quay
Word Origin for bund
C19: from Hindi band, from Persian; related to Sanskrit bandha band 1
- (sometimes not capital) a federation or league
- short for German American Bund, an organization of US Nazis and Nazi sympathizers in the 1930s and 1940s
- an organization of socialist Jewish workers in Russia founded in 1897
- the confederation of N German states, which existed from 1867–71
Word Origin for Bund
C19: German; related to band ², bind
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper