- the upper house of the federal legislature of Germany.
- the federal council of Switzerland and of Austria.
Origin of Bundesrat
Examples from the Web for bundesrat
Historical Examples of bundesrat
A number of these kings and princelings, combining in the Bundesrat, can outvote the powerful king of Prussia.
In reality he does not possess the powers of our President, but it is the Bundesrat as a whole which exercises the powers.
Bavaria is represented in the Bundesrat by six votes and sends forty-eight deputies to the imperial diet.
Lippe has one vote in the German Reichstag, and also one vote in the Bundesrat, or federal council.
The legislative functions of the empire are vested in the emperor, the Bundesrat, and the Reichstag or imperial Diet.
- (in Germany and formerly in West Germany) the council of state ministers with certain legislative and administrative powers, representing the state governments at federal level
- (in Austria) an assembly with some legislative power that represents state interests at the federal level
- (in Switzerland) the executive council of the confederation
- (in the German empire from 1871–1918) the council representing the governments of the constituent states, with administrative, judicial, and legislative powers