- butch haircut.
- Slang. a lesbian, especially one notably masculine in manner or appearance.
- (of a girl or woman) having traits of personality, dress, behavior, or appearance usually associated with males.
- (of a male) decidedly or exaggeratedly masculine in manner or appearance.
Origin of butch
First recorded in 1940–45; apparently from the proper name
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (of a woman or man) markedly or aggressively masculine
- a lesbian who is noticeably masculine
- a strong rugged man
Word Origin for butch
C18: back formation from butcher
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
"tough youth," 1902, first attested in nickname of U.S. outlaw George Cassidy (1866-?), probably an abbreviation of butcher (n.). Sense of "aggressive lesbian" is 1940s.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper