- a flavor produced in puddings, frostings, ice cream, etc., by combining brown sugar, vanilla extract, and butter with other ingredients.
- a hard, brittle taffy made with butter, brown sugar, etc.
- a golden brown color.
- having the flavor of butterscotch.
Origin of butterscotch
Examples from the Web for butterscotch
Contemporary Examples of butterscotch
The concoction, dubbed Scotchy Scotch Scotch, consists of a butterscotch ice cream with butterscotch swirls.Anchorman 2’s PR Blitz: Dodge Durangos, Daft Punk, Rob Ford’s Campaign Song, and Whiskey
November 22, 2013
There were rich shades of butterscotch and bold hues of purple.Paris Fall Fashion Week Ends With Vuitton and Kanye
March 7, 2012
Chocolate chips or butterscotch chips, walnuts or pecans, coffee or peanut butter or dried fruit…yes, the list goes on and on.An Unbeatable Brownie
November 5, 2010
Historical Examples of butterscotch
He produced a bit of butterscotch, which restored the small maiden's serenity for a minute.We Two
Neither is it paralysis, butterscotch, or three spades re-doubled.Marge Askinforit
And the candy-store was next door; the butterscotch they sold there!The Woman from Outside
Over these I rejoiced like a yokel with a pocketful of butterscotch and peanuts.The Art Of The Moving Picture
He pulled out a jolly lot of chocolate and some butterscotch, and grapes for Noel.The Story of the Treasure Seekers
- a kind of hard brittle toffee made with butter, brown sugar, etc
- a flavouring made from these ingredients
- (as modifier)butterscotch icing