• synonyms


See more synonyms for camber on Thesaurus.com
verb (used with or without object)
  1. to arch slightly; bend or curve upward in the middle.
Show More
  1. a slight arching, upward curve, or convexity, as of the deck of a ship.
  2. a slightly arching piece of timber.
  3. Aeronautics. the rise of the curve of an airfoil, usually expressed as the ratio of the rise to the length of the chord of the airfoil.
  4. Automotive. the outward or inward tilt of a wheel, called positive when the top tilts outward and negative when it tilts inward, measured as the angle, in degrees, between the vertical and a plane through the circumference of the tire.
Show More

Origin of camber

1610–20; < Middle French (north) cambre bent < Latin camur hooked, curved
Related formsun·cam·bered, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018

Related Words


Examples from the Web for cambering

Historical Examples

  • The part of a dockyard where cambering is performed, and timber kept.

    The Sailor's Word-Book

    William Henry Smyth

  • Where advisable, these effects may be modified by cambering the rail.

    The Anatomy of Bridgework

    William Henry Thorpe

British Dictionary definitions for cambering


  1. a slight upward curve to the centre of the surface of a road, ship's deck, etc
  2. another name for bank 2 (def. 7)
  3. an outward inclination of the front wheels of a road vehicle so that they are slightly closer together at the bottom than at the top
  4. Also called: hog a small arching curve of a beam or girder provided to lessen deflection and improve appearance
  5. aerofoil curvature expressed by the ratio of the maximum height of the aerofoil mean line to its chord
Show More
  1. to form or be formed with a surface that curves upwards to its centre
Show More

Word Origin

C17: from Old French (northern dialect) cambre curved, from Latin camurus; related to camera chamber
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Word Origin and History for cambering



1610s, nautical term, from Old French cambre, chambre "bent," from Latin camurum (nominative camur) "crooked, arched;" related to camera.

Show More
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper