- a shrill, whistlelike sound or loud raucous shout made to express disapproval at a theater, meeting, etc.
- an instrument for producing such a sound.
- to sound catcalls.
- to express disapproval of by catcalls.
Origin of catcall
Synonyms for catcall
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a shrill whistle or cry expressing disapproval, as at a public meeting, etc
- to utter such a call (at); deride with catcalls
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper