- an area served by a hospital, social service agency, etc.
- drainage basin.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Also called: catchment basin, drainage area, drainage basin the area of land bounded by watersheds draining into a river, basin, or reservoir
- the area from which people are allocated to a particular school, hospital, etc
- The area drained by a river or body of water.
- The area that absorbs water that contributes to a specific region's groundwater supply.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.